Thursday, October 21, 2010

sept

The grève, remember it from a few posts back? It's still goin on, and goin strong. As much as I want to write a big long post about how it's affecting my life, I'm gonna let the status updates that have been flooding my facebook news feed take this one (that said there will probably be a post to follow, when I'm feeling more motivated):


Annika, October 15
7:48 am
la question du jour? Est-ce que je vais travailler aujourd'hui ou pas?
(The question of the day? Am I going to work today or not?)
9:45 am
et la réponse est non, je ne peux pas travailler aujourd'hui parce que tous les étudiants bloquent l'éntrée
(and the response is no, I don't have to work today because all of the students are blocking the entrance)

Celeste, October 15
Cool that when I arrived to school this morning the students had blockaded all the entrances with couches and trash. Hundreds of students standing outside with me amongst them until a French professor came and rescued me and drove me to the one entrance the students neglected to blockade...ohhh the French and their greves.

Keri Ann, October 16
The kids blocked off the schools, they have little security guards making sure none of the teachers get in the school. No joke. I love France

Sophie, Monday morning
got up at 5a.m. for NOTHING! First train to work isn't until 12.30p.m.! Bloody strikes!!!

Carly, Tuesday Afternoon (with a link to her blog, hope she doesn't mind!)
 I hear that in American news, you're more concerned about terrorist attacks. Really, this doesn't concern those of us here in France. Here's why:
Description: Description: http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=924952d8720c6c3fd6a77545be67b8d5&w=90&h=90&url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F_9d3gnSgh0p4%2FTKIOwSxrgdI%2FAAAAAAAAAAw%2FtHYyAhJttGQ%2FS220%2FDSCN0646.JPG

Kate, Tuesday evening
‎... you know how i love a little social unrest.

Misty, Tuesday evening
these strikes are so crazy!! i walked past a pile of burning tires today...not sure what good it did, but very noticeable (the smell at least).

Richard, Thursday morning
My class at 8:00 on a Monday morning - evidently not here
(followed by a photo of an empty classroom)


As you can see, this thing is sort of a big deal here. If you're interested, here's a Times article as well as a link to a the blog of a friend who is much more eloquent than I, and who hopefully wont mind my linking it!





No comments:

Post a Comment